Review: The Warlord’s Concubine
By: J.E. & M. Keep
Review: The Warlord’s Concubine
Review: The Warlord’s Concubine
By: J.E. & M. Keep
Review: Peregrine Harker and The Black Death
By: Luke Hollands
Description by Netgalley:
MURDER SPIES EXPLOSIONS REVENGE
Peregrine Harker is about to learn you’re never too young to die.
London 1908: A secret society stalks the murky streets, a deadly assassin lurks in the shadows and a series of unexplained deaths are linked by a mystery symbol…
Is 1908- London, Paris and India. There’s a terrible problem: the cost for tea is raising. Then, there’s Peregrine Harker, a fifteen-years-old young boy, orphan, living his life dreaming in being a wonderful spy in his dreams while in reality he’s about to lose his job as being a journalist. Jabez Challock, the editor, tells Peregrine that he has only two weeks to find out why the price of tea is raising, as this may cause a terrible problem for the day-to-day of every english man if they don’t have a cup of tea. Young Peregrine starts his search by visiting the tea trader Clayton, but everything turns upside down when he sees a coffin. Trying to see what’s inside of it, he almost gets killed by two men but is saved by no other than his cousin-brother, Archie Dearlove. Later on, while he was with Archie, the two of them see the scene of a man dying in front of everyone while they were eating- when they decided to try and capture the man that Peregrine thought that killed them, he took a paper from the dead’s man hand that consisted of a triangle inside of a circle inside of a square…Then, he tries to talk to a man that wanted to help him, only to find him dead with the same paper and symbol. The Black Death symbol; haunting both Peregrine and Sir Magnus Clayton, they have to stop the one behind all that before they are both dead. But, there are some secrets the young Peregrine didn’t thought of knowing, nor the young and beautiful daughter of Sir Magnus, Louisa. This is the beginning of a young adventurer.
Who is Peregrine Harker?
-He is a young boy of fifteen years old. Both his parents went missing while exploring the Orinoco River in South America. He went to different boarding schools; then went to live for a while with his cousin Archie, and before they took him back to a boarding school he run away to London, in where he lived in a small apartment in Soho and worked as a journalist.
-Skills: Fencing, pistol marksmanship, horse riding, fast thinking.
-I think he’s skinny (for the moment) and with long hair.
Archie Dearlove:(may contain spoilers)
-Is the son of Sir Oliphant Dearlove ( he was the captain in the Royal Navy).
-He may be five years older than Peregrine; being twenty years old. He had a beamin smile and piercing eyes.
-At first we were told that he was Lieutenant Archie Dearlove of His Majesty’s Royal Navy; but later on he tells Peregrine the truth- he works for the Naval Intelligence, being a spy.
-Skills: Fencing, pistol marksmanship, horse riding, fast thinking, good at keeping secrets, good at making plans.
-He was truly a good friend.
-Works as a: butler.
-Appearance: Short, tough, with a condescending face, hawk-like nose.
-Skills: Pistol marksmanship, Riding (vehicles, motors or anything new), very intelligent, fast, fast thinking.
Sir Magnus Clayton:
-He was the owner of the Indus Star Importation Company.
-Appearance: Dark hair, face of kindness.
-Skills: Pistol Marksmanship, Riding, very intelligent, maker of weapons (such as guns).
Why was the price of tea rising?
-Because, after all, Sir Magnus Clayton, being the villain of this story, was trying to import the last of his gold from India. He had a brother named Richard Clayton (the two of them killed each other), the two of them were poor, so they decided to enlist in the army. While Richard followed his duty, Magnus always wanted fortune and glory. When the two of them went in duty for India they felt in love with the most beautiful girl in Northen India, named Kitty Blackmore. Richard, married and had a daughter with her and when his brother Magnus found out he planned to make a revenge making a pact with Sanghar Khan. Sangar Khan, being an orphan he was taken by the religious band ( or cult) called The Brotherhood of the Black Death. They worshipped the Hindu deity Kali, the god of death and destruction, which made them experts and specialist in lethal poisons and razor-sharp blades. When Magnus went to get revenge the end was that Kitty was killed, he took their child, and almost killed Richard; which he came back to kill them all.
It was a pretty good book, but, it was slow-paced… which I don’t like that much. Also, all the names of the places they went were confusing. There’s also the question of if there’s going to be another adventure and if we will ever know what happened with Peregrine’s parents. But overall it was a pretty good twist in the end. Thanks NETGALLEY for the book!
Review: Demonic Dora (The Demon Diaries book #`1)
by: Claire Chilton
Not even in hell she is welcome. Meet Dora Carridine, the daughter of Theodore Carridine- a reverend, and her mother, Josie Carridine an ex-pole dancing. Dora has tried every sin she is capable of just to annoy her parents, but for some time she has been practicing dark magic- to summon a demon lord. Her first command if she ever gets a demon lord? Make her room red from the pink-princess room her parents choosed for her. She decides to try again to summon a demon, but not just a demon- a high-level one. Dora places several black candles (making a circle with them), an ornate pottery bowl with a mixture of herbs, five drops of her blood and a Karabashi bloodstone. Just when she thought this was another failure, she’s being called a witch, with a hot blond demon and everyone wants her to burn.
1. Dora-> Also known as: “Demonic Dora”, “Minx-witch”, “Dora-minx”. She is human and witch. She’s brave, stubborn, fighter, lazy, intelligent (in her own ways). She’s 5’8, wiht long legs, black hair; and has a really shiny soul, meaning she’s more good than evil. She then (in evil form) had powerful wings.
2. Kieron-> Kieron Derek Lascher is a demon lord, high-level. His ability is magic. He has high cheekbones, strong jawline, tanned skin, broad shoulders, great butt, abs, blond hair and blue eyes. He’s very brave, intelligent, overreacting, silly, cute, even strong. There’s something at the end of the book which can change what he is ( he then, has white and black wings.
3. Lord Lascher-> Lionel; Kieron’s father. Demon form: Color: black, body with veiny muscles, long fingers, sharp talons, scaly wings and deep voice. Normal form: middle-aed man with slicked black hair and dark blue eyes. He’s very powerful, bussiness man, traitor, he likes to tempt, and very silly when it comes to be with his wife.
4. Lady Lascher-> Anika; Kieron’s mother. Normal form: She’s a petit brunette with wazy hair and wears a sixties style dress. Very powerful (perhaps more than Lionel?), a pain the butt and very, very annoying.
5. Pooey-> He is a small, brown colored demon with straggly fur, a squashed face and it was limply. Very grumpy and intelligent; has ninja skills and self-esteem issues. He can transform in a six-foot tall teddy with wicked claws and abs. Complete name: Personious Caelius.
Barinkoff Academy has one real rule that could meant expulsion: Everyone had to be off campus by sundown.But when break-rules Phoenix McKay falls asleep in the library she is determinated to find someone to take her to the dorms. Just as she goes back to the school (that looks more like a castle) she sees a group of people with different clothing and when she thought they were student they decide they want to taste her flesh. T-A-S-T-E. But she is save by a handsome blue-black hair guy named Dimitri and that’s when all her “normal-nerd”life starts to change just because of curiosity. She realizes Barinkoff Academy has a secret, Day Students and Night students in the same school, persons that want to eat her flesh and the memory of her mother when she died. She’s determinated to know more about this scret; about this Night Students and the handsome Dimitri, and she will help the Night Students and the others flesh eaters in a way no one can suspect; becoming one of them. Will Phoenix McKary find her answer? can she really help, or is she the cause to the end of that race? Will she find love? All the answers are in Barinkoff Academy.
I loved Dimitri, Luka and Yana! they are all so sweet. I really like Dimitri but Luka and Yana… I want to be part of that family 😦 haha. This story is really good, I loved the love parts, the fights, and that library was awesome! I would love to hear more of them. I’m going to miss them!!! and the cover is wonderful as well.
And don’t forget about the giveaway!:
Don’t Fear the Reaper
by: Michelle Muto
Keely Morrison, a rebel girl that had a past were she used to use drugs, likes to hang out with a lot of people, have fun, go out of the house with or without permission meets death. She had everything that made her happy; a twin sister that was just like her- enjoys life-; when suddenly both of their lifes and their family as well change when Jordan(keely sister) is killed. Keely doesn’t enjoy life anymore, she feels like crap and needs to be with her sister. She wonders is her sister is already an angel. In those days of depression she starts looking for ways of suicide and decides to take a bath in the shower that both of them used when they were little to play with bubbles and the water. While she drinks and thinks she cuts herself and her life you changes forever as she meets a hot-annoying demon named Daniel and Banning, the blue-eye reaper who helped her to cross the other world. Every thought of the afte life is ruined when she knows she’s a earthbound, an inbetween, which means she can’t move very fast or have practically any of the “awesome” abilities the other two have. In her journey she starts to understand the afterlife is not what we think of. And just when she thought she would be back with her sister, she learns Jordan is lost too in this parallel dimension, with demons lurking around… specially one named Pete.Will they get revenge for what he did to her sister?
I really can’t say how much I did like this book. Not only contains real life problems but it has the touch of dark fantasy and you can see that there IS something more than most people of this time wants to accept. It made me remember so much of events I have been through in my life. I have seen death since I had six years old; my mom died, then at the age of thirteen my dad died too; so you see it makes me remember how perhaps maybe mom or dad were in here with us and sometimes we can be foolish and say “no, it was my imagination”. The other thing I loved most was the relationship between the sisters. I haven’t read a book that had such a strong bond between sisters (or brothers) which I am glad I get to read a book that shows the love between them; I do enjoy when in others books they fight but this one made me think twice.
I higly recomend it for those who want to think twie about life and death. 5/5!
GIVEAWAY TIME :D!
Well first of all I wanted to thank the author for giving me her two books (later on I will post a review AND another giveaway of the other book) and doing a giveaway in my blog. Thanks!
I’m going to talk about the famous Harry Potter *drums* hehe!
SO! In the first book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
– My Favorite part was the end-action part when all the teachers made a “test” to anyone who wanted the sorcerer’s stone; and the one I really liked was Snape’s- I mean it was really dangerous but it was interesting how Hermione discovered the right one.
– It was a little sad when Harry saw his parents in The Mirror of Erised but I laugh when Dumbledore had always wanted some socks hahaha-
The second book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
– Wow! I loved the parseltongue thing! (well I like snakes) and of course my favorite part was when Harry was fighting with the gigantic basilisk!
– And of course I can’t forget about Dobby! ❤ muahaha when he aimed at Lucius Malfoy!
– AND I HATE SPIDERS! that Aragog is really scary and huge.
– The car is so random I laughed a lot. And that tree! jeez
The third book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
– I have to say that I almost cried when they killed my Buckbeak. Since I saw this beautiful hippogriff I liked it. But let me say that I liked more how the book described the first time this students saw a hippogriff, because there were moere than one!
– Then I aslo liked the artifact named Time-Turner, because it’s awesome to be able to go back to the past and be able to save lifes too! but let me say that is a very dangerous thing if is in the wrong hands.
– And of course! Lupin and Sirius!!! I love both of them!. Let’s see; Lupin is a great teacher! I love his office and the things he teached. I did liked the fact that he was a friend of Harry’s father; Sirius is a special person; I really like his feelings; and I was very happy he got the chance to be out of Askaban and that he is Harry’s godfather ❤
– We can’t forget about the dementors. Such scary things that feed from fear… I must say that Harry’s really good at fighting them, because in my opinion they are a hard to fight.
*Fact of my own: I had been two times in Harry Potter castle and everything in Universal (going this week again) and let me tell you the part of the dementors is the worst!
The fourth book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
– I liked how both of the houses; Beauxbatons and Durmstrang; made their arrive.
– One of my favorite things that Mad-Eye teached weas the three worst curses:
* Imperius * Cruciatus * Avada Kedavra
– And then of course the Triwizard Tournament. It was very interesting and very dangerous. I was in schock when Voldemort could touch Harry Potter; but hey! it was really cool when Harry’s parents appeared to save him.
-It was disgusting when I saw how Voldemort was. Ew.
– Very sad that Digory died.
The fifth book: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
– Grrr that Ministry of Magic saying that Harry and Dumbledore are lying! Bah! get’s on my nerve… Then that Umbridge I HATE HER. I hate that woman! I mean with that of ” I must not tell lies” but hey the centaurs make her pay!
– DUMBLEDORE ARMY FTW! WOOT! sorry I just love this army. The Room of requirement is really cool. In my opinion I imagine it more like “confort” and place that we could relax and learned at the same time… so in the movie, the room, was okay with the space but not with the looks. Also Hermione idea of the coin really cool.
-Luna! I like this girl! she’s so cute!
-I LOVE THESTRALS! I think I’m like Hagrid sometimes haha, with the liking rare creatures.. I wish I could pet one ❤
-The Order of the Phoenix is just awesome and in Sirius house? BETTER!
-That Kreacher! hmph…
– O-M-G when Harry kissed with Cho Chang hahaha … sorry for this but she’s stupid. Never liked her that much.
-And then the fight in the Ministry was really cool! but I cried when that Bellatrix killed my Sirius! 😦
-And the prophecy ……
The six book: Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
(This is my second favorite book from Harry Potter serie)
– I know Snape is a pain in the butt but… I like him, he is one of my favorite characters. I thought that the half-blood prince was Harry’s dad! But anyway I have to say that Snape knows a lot and that he is very intelligent. Very.
-Then there are the Horcruxes. I love how this new adventure in Harry Potter life is beginning! but… I cried when Dumbledore died! 😦 not cool.
*In my opinion this book is the start to the real adventure in Harry Potter life.*
-And another thing I really liked a lot were the memories. Just wow… this explains a lot and how Voldermort past was… really, really good.
The seventh book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
– My favorite book is this one. I just love it completly! Weddings, Lupin and Tonks and the new baby… and the fight in Hogwarts and YES Harry Potter defeated Voldermort! muahaha hmph. Sad book yes, because of all the dead people but well I did liked it.
– I cried too when Snape was dead. Didn’t stop crying, because of his memories… those sad memories. I really wanted Harry’s mom with Snape. Gonna miss you.
– I loved Albus Severus; son of Harry Potter and Ginny!; I was looking forward, hoping that the author was going to say there will be a new book… if in the future there is I hope is about this kid.
DID YOU KNEW ABOUT THE NEW WEBSITE ?
*Made by the author !
HERE IS THE LINK 😉 WWW.POTTERMORE.COM